Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Once again I didn't see Ike Reilly Live

We don't get out much. Parenthood is like that. When we do sometimes things happen.

Like Saturday night. I wanted to see a band I have begun listening to. They are from Illinois and they don't get out here much.

They got to the venue (a dive bar) in DC late and argued with the management who told them to leave.

We left (and got back our cover - glad we did because they didn't even pay the band as it turns out)

This article was in the Post this morning...

From The Washington Post
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A35530-2005Mar14.html

They Like Ike, to the Tune of $700
• The kindness of strangers: After a Chicago pub-rock band called the Ike Reilly Assassination got into a squabble Saturday night over its place on the bill at the Velvet Lounge on U Street, the management told the musicians to hit the road before showtime. But as frontman Ike Reilly, his mates and road crew were about to leave unhappy and unpaid, two fans who witnessed the bum's rush went over and introduced themselves. They gave the band $500 to make up for the lost gig fee, Reilly said, and treated the seven ejectees to a $200 dinner in Bethesda.

Introducing themselves only as "Paul" and "Matt," the good Samaritans kept saying, "Don't give up on punk rock in D.C.," Reilly recalled yesterday to Post special correspondent Dave McKenna. Asked if he would ever bring the band back to the Velvet Lounge, the rocker said: "If I can go there again and not play and make $700, I guarantee I'll book it."


Ha! I made special arrangements to see this band and was there that night. I heard what happened - they showed up late and wanted to be first in the lineup (as they were billed), but the management told them no. They told me that the band got kicked out of the club.

I was very upset since I have wanted to see them play for over a year and finally was able to go to the show. I looked for the band, but figured they had talked to the venue on the phone. I don't think I would have given them $500 though. Would have gone to dinner with the band and maybe chipped in for their food. I'd like to meet these Matt and Paul guys.

No comments: