Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Photo of Frances


Frances "Birdbath" Lide

I was surprised and delighted today to receive a comment on my entry about Frances Lide. I thought I was the only one who sometimes "Googled" her name, just to see what was out there.

This is the photo I mentioned in the first entry about Frances. It was taken by a neighbor, Ken, and given to me at Frances' memorial service. In the background is a caricature drawn by a colleague at the Washington Evening Star newspaper. I vaguely remember the story about how Frances had written an article about birds or birdbaths and was given the nickname "Birdbath" by her colleagues.

I love how, in the photo, Frances seems to be looking directly in the viewer's eyes, listening to every word the viewer may be saying. So much like the Frances I remember.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I remember that caricature from Birdbath's house! Nice to see it again. What a great photo. Thanks for posting it!